Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why I'd pick up Torrey Smith this week

Everyone is going to take a long, hard look at picking up Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith off the waiver wire this week.

It's impossible to ignore him after his three-touchdown performance against the Rams on Sunday. He finished with five catches for 152 yards.

At first, it might be easy to brush off his performance as a fluke. After all, the Rams' secondary has its share of problems. Also, Smith got his start because Lee Evans is nursing an injury.

And that's fine if you think that way.

Me, well, I'm the type that will take a shot on Smith.

For some reason I'm thinking Miles Austin.

Don't know why, but I can't help but to think back to Austin's big coming out party in 2009 when he had 10 catches for 250 yards and two touchdowns.

A couple seasons later and Austin is a No. 1 receiver in fantasy football lineups.

Could Smith have a similar climb? I'm willing to find out.

Smith is fast and has a QB in Joe Flacco with a cannon of an arm.

My guess is after seeing such a performance, the Ravens have to involve Smith going forward.

Will he have one-catch games for 22 yards? Possibly. But I'm thinking he could be a better Devery Henderson-type player.

It's your call. I figure, if Smith bombs in a couple weeks, all that I've lost is a roster spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment