Monday, August 6, 2012

Pre-draft trading strategy: Getting anything for a non-keeper a good idea?

In my dynasty league, owners usually try to sell off the players they won't keep at a reduced rate.

Usually there's a big rush of emails before the keepers are due hoping someone will take them up on an offer.

I've had mixed feelings about doing this, at least in a sell-off mode.

First, if you're an owner without a strong number of keepers, this is one way to get a decent player at a lower cost.

For example, Franchise Owner A might try to sell Player A for an eighth-round draft pick. If Player A is an upgrade, this would be a good idea.

I'm looking at it from a different angle and want to get your opinion.

If I'm an owner, why would I want to help out another owner improve his team at a discounted rate?

Let me throw a player out there to help make a little more sense.

I'm not keeping Brandon Lloyd. My dynasty league keepers (five) are shaping up as Ryan Mathews, DeMarco Murray, Jimmy Graham, Matt Forte and Mike Vick.

Lloyd is going somewhere in the 50s in drafts, so he could be going in the fifth round. If I trade Lloyd for an eighth-round pick, the other owner is making out. I won't be drafting a player in the eighth round of comparable talent or upside. And remember, since we keep five, this would be like a 13th-round pick.

But, some will say, you are at least getting something for Lloyd, who you weren't going to keep.

Agreed.

But now I can't draft Lloyd again. Plus, I made the other team stronger.

Do you see any other points for or against this? I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment