Friday, August 10, 2012

Ryan Mathews: injured, out and falling on draft boards

I couldn't believe it Thursday night.

I opened up my Twitter feed and it was going crazy. Tweet after tweet kept popping up. Finally, I saw it: Ryan Mathews injured.

Ouch.

On the first carry, no less.

Instead of proving he's worthy of a first-round pick and able to be the main running back for the San Diego Chargers, Mathews confirms his fragile reputation by breaking his clavicle.

Initial diagnosis: out four to six weeks.

How does that change things with Mathews?

If you draft him in the third round, you're probably reaching. He might be a safer pick toward the end of the fourth round, but you're probably better waiting until the fifth.

Plus, you need to handcuff him. The problem there, however, no one has emerged as the handcuff. It could be Ronnie Brown, but Curtis Brinkley could be the guy, too.

In my dynasty league, Mathews was a player I was planning on keeping. We keep five in a 10-team league, and now I feel stuck.

I have 10 days to decide, so after this initial buzzkill, I'll be able to look at it more objectively.

However, if I was drafting Saturday, I would be looking at other options.

Keep in mind, if Mathews returns in four weeks, we're looking at the start of the season. It might not be as bad as we're dreading right now.

However, this doesn't bode well for a season where he was supposed to emerge as a feature back.

No comments:

Post a Comment