Thursday, December 15, 2011

College football: Graham sticks it to Pitt

The Pitt football program isn't what it used to be.

Need further proof? Todd Graham just left the Panthers for Arizona State.

I grew up a Pitt football and basketball fan. I remember the Jackie Sherrill days.

There haven't been many great days since.

Pitt thinks higher of itself than the rest of the country. That's not a bad thing, it's just a realistic assessment of the program.

A little more than 12 months ago, Dave Wannstedt was the coach. Today, Pitt will be looking for it's fourth coach over than same time period.

That's not stability. That's not the way a great program should work -- or in this case be forced to work.

Maybe it's just a bad string of luck. Athletic director Steve Pederson didn't know Mike Haywood wouldn't work out. And I'm sure Pederson didn't expect this from Graham.

I liked the Graham hire, but I was certainly wrong about that.

Even if I wasn't a Pitt football fan, I wouldn't think very highly of Graham after leaving a program the way he did.

Hopefully Pitt will make a better hire and get the program on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment